School Holidays, Meal Planning and ANZAC Day.

Today is day one of Term 2 in NSW. The children were not very enthusiastic about going back to school. Each one of them has had to go through/ is going some adjustments this year. My eldest started year five this year without his best friend whose family have moved to another part of the state. My two youngest have had friends (siblings) move to another district over the school holidays so today was their first day without their friends. I know my children will adjust well but as their Mum, I guess I am more in tune with their feelings.




We had a nice two week break though and spent sometime with my Dad on the Mid North Coast. We also caught up with friends and it was beautiful watching the children playing happily with our friends children. 
Picnic lunch looking over the Manning River
                               
Our days were spent going for long walks, trips to the beach, shopping, picnics, fishing and watching a pair of dolphins one afternoon on dusk. My daughter caught the only fish worth keeping but with the number of times we caught under size fish and had to throw them back, the children didn't care who caught what. 
Fishing at Harrington
The catch-cry of the day was "ROBBED!!" each time the little fish stole the bait off the hooks. Memories made.
Beautiful view form Crowdy Head

The Easter Bunny even managed to find us so far away from home. This was very much to the relief of three children. 

I finally bit the bullet and have paid my subscription to join The Cheapskates Club in an effort to kerb our spending, budget more efficiently and reduce our cost of living. My first step was to get back into meal planning. I have planned in the past but fell off the wagon so many times due to lack of planning in my shopping, changes in plans for the family and so on.One area that always blew out the grocery budget was cooking fancy meals. I have promised myself from now on it is simple meals. This should be relatively easy as I have stopped buying food like products (since the beginning of term one) and have increased our plant based intake. I am only doing weekly at the moment until I have created a nice long list of meals. 
Fish & Chips

This weeks evening meals are -
  • Monday: Savoury Mince with brown rice and a garden salad.
  • Tuesday: Fish, chips and salad.
  • Wednesday: Lamb chops and vegetables.
  • Thursday: S.C. Silverside with vegetables. (I have white sauce in the freezer from last time we had silverside.)
  • Friday: Curry tuna and vegetables over brown rice.
  • Saturday: Birthday dinner at a restaurant.
  • Sunday: Leftovers night
Yesterday we attended Dawn Service and met up with a friend and his daughter. It was very reassuring seeing so many families attend. Getting up at 3.30am is not easy with children but as I told my children, our ANZACs went through more than just getting up early. For us, it is the smallest of sacrifices. The service was followed by a superb breakfast at the RSL club. 
After inviting our friend back to our place for fresh coffee, I went back to bed for a few hours before getting some folding done and baking some ANZAC biscuits. Our Woolworths were completely out of golden syrup on Monday afternoon so an emergency trip was made to our local Coles. Thankfully they still had loads!
ANZAC biscuits cooling
The recipe I used for the biscuits is -
ANZAC BISCUITS

Ingredients

1 cup coconut
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg
cup plain wholemeal flour
1 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
2 tablespoons hot water

Method
(Heat oven to 180 degrees C)

1. Cream butter, sugar and eggs.
2. Add syrup.
3. Add all dry ingredients, mixing well. 
4. Add hot water and bi-carb soda. Mix through with hands.
5. Roll into balls and place on lined tray. Flatten gently.
6. Cook for 15 minutes and allow to cool on tray.
7. Store in an airtight container.

I am out of Miracle Spray so before I sit down for lunch I will make up another batch. I have been very happy with the cleaning results so it is a keeper!!

Enjoy your (short) week,
Until next time,
Vicky





Comments