On the Menu, Learning to live the Cheapskates way & being Environmentally Mindful

Today finds me a little tired from two nights of broken sleep and this time it has nothing to do with any of my children waking me up. A few things in my personal life are changing (in a positive way) and it has for whatever reason, disturbed my normally great night of sleep.

I have taken a slower approach to my day today and have only completed the necessary things in order to keep moving forward. Reading groups have been done followed by a stop at a local op shop to offload more 'stuff' and to have a browse (I didn't buy anything), a quick stop at Aldi to buy some vegetables for tonights meal, dinner prepped and now slow cooking, washing brought in and a load is currently being washed. Once I have published this post, the rest of the day will be free for me to relax before school pick up. Everything does not need to be done every single day. It is important to take time for yourself. 10 years ago I would have thought I was being lazy for heading to the lounge during the middle of the day! Oh how my life and priorities have changed!!

On the Menu -

  • Monday: Spaghetti Bolognaise (with a few left over mushrooms and celery in the bolognaise sauce)
  • Tuesday: Chicken fried rice
  • Wednesday: S.C. Chicken and vegetable soup (with leftover plain spaghetti) and bread rolls
  • Thursday: Homemade burgers
  • Friday: Fish and vegetables
  • Saturday: Toasted sandwiches (movie night)
  • Sunday: Mufti-food night (I think I came across the name for 'Mufti-food' in ones of Cath Armstrong's books)
I have also been baking this week. On Sunday night after the kitchen was cleaned...I messed it up again! Not really and it wasn't a big deal anyway. Anyway, on Sunday night I made a double batch of Honey Joys. After school drop off yesterday morning, I made a Farmer's Cake. These baked goods will be for the children's school recess and if any is left, morning tea for Saturday in between driving to footy games!

Honey Joys
Ingredients

90g butter
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey
4 cups cornflakes

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees celsius
  2. Prep muffin tin with muffin liners
  3. Measure out cornflakes into a large bowl
  4. Melt butter, sugar and honey together on the stove over low heat
  5. Pour mixture over the cornflakes and mix well. 
  6. Spoon cornflake mixture into muffin liners
  7. Bake in oven for 12 minutes
  8. Allow to cool in muffin tins before storing in an airtight container
Honey Joys cooked and cooling

Farmer's Pantry Cake
(Cheapskates Club)
Ingredients

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp Mixed Spice
2 cups of grated pear (I used two pears and blitzed them!)
1 cup SR flour

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Prep loaf tin or cake tin.
  2. Beat together the eggs, sugar and oil and Mixed Spice
  3. Add in pear. Mix well.
  4. Add the SR Flour and mix well.
  5. Bake for 30-40 minutes. (I used a loaf tin and baked for 55 minutes)
  6. Cool before moving to a wire rack. Store in an air tight container.
For more variations, please go to  Cheapskates Club
Farmer's Pantry Cake with Pear


As I learn to live the Cheapskates way, I -
  • put a blanket on all of the beds to be pulled up during cooler nights
  • placed flannelette sheets on all of our beds
  • closed the blinds as the sun drops to keep in as much heat as possible
  • hung all the washing on the clothes line even on days it looked like rain (an it didn't!)
  • made the kids Honey Joys and Farmer's Cake for recess
  • made lunches every day for the children and Hubby,
  • poured the leftover water in the drink bottles on our strawberry plants,
  • persisted with turning lights off and kept only 2-3 lights on during the evening,
  • left the bathroom exhaust fan off as well as the heat lights
  • used Eco mode on my washing machine
  • gave the dog the water from boiled vegetables (when cooled)
  • added to our scrap paper stash
  • only filled the kettle with enough water for my cup of tea instead of filling it up to the Max line
  • resisted turning on the A/C (heat setting), or the gas heaters or starting the fire* and instead, put jumpers on, snuggled up under blankets on the lounge.
  • saved seeds from Sweet Capsicums and am currently regrowing celery.
  • Made my own SR Flour instead of going to the shop...which would have also used petrol!
  • borrowed a book from the local library to see if I like it before buying it - secondhand of course. 😉
* we want to preserve our firewood rather than thinking that because it is free it is okay to light the fire when a jumper and slippers will be sufficient.

I have been Environmentally Mindful by -
  • taking hessian bags with me to the supermarkets,
  • saying NO to dockets if not required,
  • using lunchboxes and drink bottles for my children's lunches and for Hubby's lunches
  • making Miracle Spray and reusing an old spray bottle
  • taking the time when shopping to look for items in glass jars and bottles rather than plastic (BBQ sauce is a hard one!)
  • persisted in turning lights off....
  • sending unwanted goods to a local op shop,
  • sending unwanted (new) good to school for the Mother's Day stall
  • using the clothesline...
I hope you are all having a wonderful week.
Until next time,
Vicky




Comments

  1. How wonderful! You won't regret any of these changes you are making, your wallet will be fuller, and likely your waistline will shrink (all this from scratch business is hard work, but great work) but most importantly you will slowly begin to feel content, spending a little time on the lounge is proof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Cheryl for your reply. I am excited about getting back to basics and hopefully arming my beautiful children with knowledge from by gone decades. A shrinking waistline would be wonderful!!

      Delete

Post a Comment